Mar 9, 2011

"One Year" Review



Sorry it took so long but here is my review of "One Year" by: Courtney Ella Hrabik. Let me start off this review by saying Courtney Ella is coming from some where completely different then any other writer; like I have no idea from where. Then her language is so unique she has no compound words or contractions. It was very awkward to read at first but it really grew on me. I loved how organically the story was told and how inter-connected it was. I had to read it a couple of times before I caught on to everything. Like the book was written by the character of Latimer in past tense. Through out the book he is getting inspiration for this crazy year from their actual year and from suggestions from Loren. The maping that had to be done before she even began writing the book had to be so intense. Then I read that she plans on using that narrator in all of her books is even crazier. That means she must have this whole world mapped out.

Not only is the language and connections unique but so is the structure. Matthew said there was no climax but I feel that there are actually two. There are two journeys being told one between Josh and the narrator and Loren's. Josh's climax was in the prologue when he died and the resolution was when he made peace with his death. Loren's climax comes when she is running in "Feel" and her resolution comes in "We Are Okay".

Over all I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment