Jan 25, 2011

'One Year' Review

For everyone that does not go to Brown University here is my review for 'One Year' by Courtney Ella Hrabik.

When I first got the email to write this review I was very surprise that they would want my opinion and then I was flattered because this was the first time I have been personaly asked to review a book.

My first reaction to the book was that it was not a book. Yes it meets the word requirement. But it is lacking almost everything else that makes it a book. Their is no antagonist. Their is no exposition. Their is no raising action. Their is no climax. Their is no falling action. In reality it is a very long story.

What I liked about the story. It was a great story. Courtney Ella once said at reading 'Books are a dying medium. I write for an audience (teenage girls) that would never spend twenty dollars on a book. Yet books are what I am currently writing. So they can't be books any more they have to be experiences. The reader has to be able to relate to the book while never reading it any where else at the same time.' This book is that. From the prologue it was an interesting and unique idea to write around. The character of Loren is the average American teenager but the characters around her are fun and interesting. The situations that the characters are put in are average with a twist. It was also a very easy read. I have a very hectic life between grad school and TAing but I had no trouble finishing this book this week. My sister said she wanted to read it and she hates to read. It was also interesting that at the end of the story she had character bios and explaining each section.

This story is either going to be killed for everything it does not have or Harry Potter popular. If it takes off it may re-write the book on books. If she does that it may screw the majority of writers out there right now because everyone else follows the rule. God knows I could never copy that style so lets hope it does not.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Matthew,

    Thanks for the review. I just wanted to let you know that I am not trying to re write the book on books. I am a writer that is story/character driven and in this case the story led me in this direction. I am working on my second book right now and as it is progressing I am realizing that their is an antagonist and a climax. Still a great story and very a much a Courtney Ella work but it all so fights with the tradition style. So sleep well to night and best of luck with your book.

    Courtney Ella Hrabik

    ReplyDelete