May 30, 2011

"Best Days of Our Lives": 27 October 1986

It was the first fall recess giving them a week off of school. All ten of them had taken a bus to spend the week with Christopher and Olivia’s grandparent’s cabin in Wisconsin. On this particular day I was snooping around. I found my way into a study. The walls were covered with pictures of ten, college aged, people at Oberlin College.

The door opened, it startled me, and someone walked in.

“Sorry” Mae, their grandmother, said.

“No I am sorry” I said beginning to walk out.

“No look around” Mae said.

“Thanks” I said.

“So many pictures” Mae said.

“Yeah” I said. “Who are they?”

“That is my son, Caleb, my daughter in law, Celeste, and this is all of their friends.” Mae said pointing them all out. “You know they went to Oberlin also.”

“I know” I said.

“You know my Caleb met Celeste there.” Mae said.

“I know” I said.

“So many memories” Mae said gazing at them.

“They looked like they had a lot of fun.” I said.

“They had the best time ever.” Mae said.

One picture in particular had caught my eye. It was a picture of the ten of them outside Allan holding paintings.

“Looks familiar” Mae said.

“Yeah” I said.

“Olivia showed me your picture.” Mae said.

I noticed that the pictures of the ten of them stopped. And pictures with eight and Christopher and Olivia popped up.

“Where are they now?” I asked.

“They died when Christopher and Olivia were only two. “ Mae said. “In a car wreck coming home from dinner one night.”

“I am so sorry I had no idea.” I said.

“Yes it was.” Mae said. “Luckily they had really good friends who make sure that their kids never forget who they were.”

“I’ll bet” I said.

Just then Olivia popped her head in the study.

“There you are Danny Boy” Olivia said. “Come on we are going to watch a movie.”

“Coming” I said and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment